Hello!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hosted by Antelecom

High Speed Internet Access by Antelecom
MonacoForums is not affiliated with "Monaco Coach" or the "REV" Group

2004 HR Imperial RR8S

in Sponsor - MonacoWatts   Must be logged on to post
Note

Hello Everyone!
I've enjoyed reading all of the post on here and on iRV2 about the ride and handling of the Roasmaster chassis. I also enjoyed the two presentations given by Van and Craig at the MS in Goshen. Tons of good information!

I've had my coach for just over two years. I've never really thought that it had any of the issues most people complain about with the poor handling, until now. I do find it a bit squirrely in the wind and when trucks pass on the interstate. I have a TRW steering gear that is tight, so I can assume that helps. The one thing that I have started to notice is between ~58-62mph I have a slight vibration in the front. It seems like the type of vibration you'd experience when a tire is out of balance, but I have Centermatic balancers on the front so I have almost eliminated that as a cause. The vibration is not in the steering wheel but more in the chassis and its not terrible. The coach as 62000 miles on it and I'm pretty sure that the shocks are original.

With all the smart people on here I wanted to run this issue past everyone. Would new shocks help with the vibration? Front Watts Link and rear cross bars? New bushings?

And for Mike; I noticed that the Imperial is not listed for watts link and cross bars. It is almost identical to the Windsor (but we know nothing is identical with Monaco) with a single front jack. While in Goshen, Craig poked his head under my coach and said that it looks like it would fit just fine. He said that I might have to provide you some measurements for clearance. It also has the gussets which would need to be trimmed for air leveling.

Thanks in advance-
Darren

Comments

• I have only had the opportunity to look at one Imperial. It had a single front jack with a larger bolt pattern. I have since modified the kits to fit this jack.

Mike and Wanda
    2008 Safari Cheetah 38PDQ, 350 C7, TRW, F/R X-Bars, F/R Watts, FSD, STP, TST
    2016 F150 4x4 Toad, Blue Ox, AFO

• Mike, I did some more investigating on my 2004 Imperial and my center jack is attached strangely. It is bolted on the top but welded on the bottom. I've got about 3" of clearance between the jack and the H-Frame. I cant believe they used so many different methods to attach the jacks. Here is a picture. Let me know if this would even work.
    Thanks-
    Darren

• This is different. Have not run across this configuration before. How about a a picture showing the lower portion of the jack (welded on)?.

The Imperial I looked at over in QZ had a bolt in jack but with 10 3/4" bolt centers.
    I wonder if it would be just a matter of drilling two holes.

Mike and Wanda

• I can almost see it in this picture. I think it is hidden behind the springs.
    if you can, measure down 10 3/4" from the center of the top bolt and mark where it lies at the bottom.

Mike and Wanda

• It is a weird instillation. The bottom weld is almost like a strap to hold the jack against the frame of the coach. If you had to remove the jack, it looks like you'd have to remove the top bolts, the bottom foot of the jack and then slip it out of the bottom strap. Ive attached some pictures..they are not the best.

If I were to drill holes, would it be on the two down tubes? I've marked them in red on the photo.

Darren

• Are those marks 10 3/4" apart?

Mike and Wanda

• No they are not, I just marked on the image to illustrate what you were referring to about drilling holes. What measurements would you need to determine proper fit?

• Measure down from the center of the top bolt 10 3/4" and mark it. With any luck it will land on the lower jack brackets. If that is too long measure down 8 1/4" and mark it.
    post a pic.

Mike and Wanda

•   Must be logged on to post
    Note
    PM DappemAV8

Ok, I'll get those as soon as I can. Back to work tomorrow for me :neutral: